Saturday, May 24, 2008

Between Disconnection and Connection is Loneliness



"And if by chance that special place that you’ve been dreaming of leads you to a lonely place, find your strength in love.” – Michael Masser and Linda Creed


Between disconnection and connection there is a time of transition. That time is called loneliness. During those moments, we choose what to do with that lonely feeling. I know that I can stay in the lonely place as long as I need to; it’s not necessary to force ourselves to move out of it before we’re ready. But, eventually we must move or the loneliness will deepen, becoming a desert of isolation where we can’t find our way out.

We are meant to be connected to many things: to the Universe, to ourselves, to other people and to life. Maybe the purpose of loneliness is to provide the transition to connection. Rather than experiencing loneliness as something we deserve, or something we brought on ourselves, we can become aware of that deep longing within ourselves to be part of a larger, wider world. We can then do our best to meet our needs and feel pleasure when they are met. I will let my loneliness provide the impetus for moving me to a different place. I will be patient and gentle with my need for connections.

No comments: