Thursday, May 7, 2009

Don’t Judge Me by the Way I Look




"Many brave men lived before Agamemnon, but all unwept and unknown, they sleep in endless night, for they had no poets to sound their praises." - Horace

A person in one of my group therapy sessions once told this story. "I was living in a city with a large population of homeless and poor. Each day it was painful to notice the contrast between the beautifully dressed, seemingly self-confident people, and the poor who shared the streets with them."

"One day I realized I could empathize with how those homeless people felt. I'd lived my whole life feeling I didn't belong, with no family I could turn to, and not knowing if I would survive another day in my misery. The compassion I felt was a reminder to me not to form my opinions about people by how they look. It doesn't matter what people think they see in me, or anyone else. Each one of us is wounded. It's just that some wounds are on the inside instead of the outside." Remember that we are all in this world together and for a purpose, no matter what the circumstances of our lives.

No comments: