Saturday, May 24, 2008

How to Get to Forgiveness





One is as one is, and the love that can’t encompass both is a poor sort of love.
- Marya Mannes


I have struggled to find the way to forgive myself and others. Forgiving isn’t easy. Writing this blog isn't easy. I am carrying so much resentment and hurt around with me. In fact, when I’ve been deeply hurt or victimized by someone else, I may feel I can’t forgive. Yet, for my own peace of mind and in order to let go, I may finally try. It’s been suggested by my therapist that forgiveness is easier under certain conditions: a positive connection with the person we want to forgive, a deep relationship with the Universe, and lots of time.

Forgiveness is often preceded by grieving fully; we must first heal from the harm that was done to us. Through the honesty, power and wisdom gained through personal growth we are gently lead through the process of forgiving ourselves and others. Many of us have also experienced the Universe’s unconditional forgiveness which gives us a model. I acknowledge my responsibility for my actions, I let go of resentment, I grieve, and, finally, I forgive. Today, I will let go and let God.

No comments: