Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Just for Today, Let Go of Anger and Resentment Toward Family and Focus on Taking Care of Yourself


"It is a true proverb, that if you live with a lame man, you will learn to halt." -- Plutarch





Working through the memories of childhood is a task each of us eventually faces. Addiction in a family system contributes to addiction along the way and affects our own individual addiction(s) and creates drama in life as adults.

I have realized that we can decide whether it's important for us to know if and how addiction has operated in our families. We can gain that knowledge as we need it. But isn't it enough simply knowing the addiction is real, that it's present in family systems, and that we didn't cause it? Knowing we didn't cause it helps to stop blaming one's self.

The important thing I have found is to focus on our own recovery. I cannot change a thing about my family or the past. But, I have found I can change my attitude toward them. When ever we feel caught up in the addiction or drama in a family members's behavior, we can bring our attention back to ourselves. That way, resentment and fruitless anger yield to honesty and humility. Detaching from the things we cannot change, forgiving the harm done to us, and letting go of the past are important parts of our healing.

No comments: