Thursday, May 7, 2009

Words Can Hurt


"Never forget what a man says to you when he is angry." -- Henry Ward Beecher

Do we speak the truth when we're angry? I know that I am often quick to say, "I really didn't mean it," and I may even try to make amends for my thoughtlessness. But people, especially children, rarely forget what was said to them in anger.

Angry words hurt and mark people. Even if our parents didn't really mean it, those angry voices and words are still with us. We often come to believe that our parents didn't love us or respect us; otherwise, how could they have said those angry things that still hurt?

We will always have moments of anger. But we can think twice before letting anger dictate our speech. Words can hurt and people remember.

1 comment:

Marq said...

Though some repressed feelings fall out during anger, I'm not even sure those are "truth." What I say in anger could, and should, be safely thrown away like a blue grapefruit. I may want to serve it up, but nobody needs to eat that!